Pain in the lumbar region is a clinical symptom of pathological changes in various tissues. At a young age, muscle spasms and overstrain appear in this way, at a more mature age - osteochondrosis and its complications. In the elderly, any pain can be considered a sign of a compression fracture of the vertebral body against the background of developing osteoporosis.
The causes and treatment methods of low back pain discussed in the article are factual information. This only gives a general idea of what might be going on in your body. But this does not replace the advice of a specialist. If you experience discomfort in the lumbar and sacral region, consult a doctor immediately. It is best to make an appointment with a vertebrologist or neurologist. These doctors have the necessary level of professional competence in the treatment of diseases of the spine.
For these purposes, we recommend that you choose a manual therapy clinic at your place of residence. Usually doctors work there who have extensive practical experience in working with patients with pathologies of the spine and other parts of the musculoskeletal system.
Before starting to treat low back pain at home, it is necessary to establish an accurate diagnosis. The fact is that the pain syndrome can be provoked by various pathological reactions. The most common types of offenses are:
- the consequences of a traumatic effect on bone tissue - fractures and cracks of the vertebral bodies and their processes;
- stretching and microscopic ruptures of the fibers of the ligaments, tendons and paravertebral muscles;
- the formation of hematomas after injury to soft tissues - they put pressure on the nerve fiber;
- inflammation - may be due to prolapse of the intervertebral hernia, aseptic reaction to trauma, introduction of an infectious agent (for example, with tuberculosis of the spine);
- degenerative dystrophic process of destruction of intervertebral discs;
- ruptured fibrous rings of discs;
- tissue ischemia against the background of disturbances in the processes of blood supply and innervation;
- compression (for example, due to the instability of the position of the vertebral bodies or their displacement).
The spine is an anatomically complex structure. It consists of the vertebral bodies, intervertebral discs and vertebral endplates. Around the spine are longitudinal and transverse ligaments, paravertebral muscles. Inside the spinal canal, formed by the vertebral bodies and arcuate processes, is the spinal cord. It is the central structure of the autonomic nervous system, responsible for the functioning of the entire human body. The innervation is carried out thanks to the root nerves extending from the spinal cord through the lateral openings of the vertebral bodies.
The intervertebral disc keeps the vertebral bodies at a certain distance, which it separates. And thanks to this, there is no compression effect on the root nerves and their branches. They do not become inflamed or experience ischemia due to insufficient blood supply. If in the area of intervertebral cartilaginous discs there is a decrease in muscle fiber activity, the quality of diffuse nutrition is sharply reduced. And cartilaginous intervertebral discs do not have their own blood vessels. This causes a decrease in their height, compression of the nerve fiber and other soft tissues near the spine. Naturally, this process is accompanied by a strong pain syndrome in the lumbar region.
Next, let's talk about the potential causes of pain - diseases and risk factors for their development.
The main reasons for lower back pain
So, let's start with the fact that in the lumbar region there are a lot of large muscles. Some of them are responsible for bipedal locomotion, support the body in an upright position and provide various body movements (tilts, twists, turns, etc. ).
These muscles are made up of myocytes. To which cell corresponds the nerve ending and its own blood vessel - the capillary. With any violation of innervation or blood supply, the performance of the muscle is sharply reduced. For example, if a person subjected their lower back to excessive physical activity, the muscle fiber contracted. In this state, it is not able to conduct nerve impulses and has a compressive effect on capillary blood vessels. There are foci of ischemic reaction and trigger points (places where incompatible contraction and relaxation of myocytes occur). These conditions may go away on their own. But in most cases, fibromyalgia pain syndrome can persist for several years and require the help of an experienced chiropractor.
Other potential causes of low back pain include:
- degenerative dystrophic destruction of the cartilaginous fiber of the intervertebral discs (osteochondrosis);
- complications of osteochondrosis in the form of protrusion and extrusion of intervertebral discs, prolapse of a hernia and its sequestration;
- instability of the position of the discs and vertebral bodies relative to each other in the form of weakness or deformation of the ligamentous and tendon apparatus;
- displacement of the vertebral bodies by the type of antélisthesis, retrolisthesis or laterolisthesis;
- curvature of the spine, violation of posture, including thoracic scoliosis, complicated by twisting and tilting of the pelvic bones;
- spinal stenosis, especially due to prolapse of the dorsal intervertebral hernia or displacement of the vertebral body;
- compression fracture of the vertebral body or crack of its process;
- stretching and rupture of the longitudinal or transverse ligament;
- deforming spondylarthrosis, in which the range of motion in the projection of the intervertebral joint may decrease;
- destruction of the iliac-sacral joints;
- destruction of the joint between the coccyx and the sacrum;
- tumor and infectious pathologies of the tissues of the spinal cord and spine;
- inflammatory processes in the abdominal cavity and in the pelvic organs;
- piriformis and cauda equina syndrome.
These are just a few of the possible causes of pain in the lumbar region. Remember that only an experienced doctor can make an accurate diagnosis based on an examination and additional clinical examinations. Therefore, you should not engage in self-diagnosis and treatment. This can lead to sad consequences for your body.
Be sure to contact an experienced doctor, he will determine the reasons why the lower back hurts and prescribe treatment that will allow you to restore damaged tissues without harm to your health.
What are the symptoms to watch out for?
Each disease that causes low back pain causes additional symptoms to appear. It is on them that you need to pay attention so as not to waste time and contact the specialist who deals with the treatment of these diseases.
So, let's start with the most common. This is osteochondrosis and its consequences. With such a disease, in addition to pain, there is stiffness of movement, muscle tension in the lumbar region. Difficulty sitting or standing for a long time. I want to take a forced position. With such manifestations, it is worth making an appointment with a vertebrologist.
If the pain spreads along the lower extremities, radiates to the groin, the anterior abdominal wall, if there is an intestinal disorder, there are areas of numbness in the skin, then it is advisable to consult aneurologist. This means that a pinched nerve fiber has occurred. Only a neurologist will be able to determine where the nerve has been damaged and how this compression can be quickly and safely removed.
Treatment in case of pain in the back and lower back due to a violation of the integrity of the tissues is carried out by a traumatologist. After restoring the integrity of the tissues, it is necessary to undergo a rehabilitation course with a manual therapist. Therefore, if there was a traumatic effect, and after that a pain syndrome appeared, first contact the emergency room.
If you experience frequent urination, fever, muscle aches, headaches, you should contact your local therapist to exclude pathology of the urinary system. If possible, make an appointment with a nephrologist.
In women, lower back pain can be associated with damage to the genitals, which is why consultation with a gynecologist is necessary. Men are advised to consult an andrologist or urologist. It is also always worth excluding damage to the tissues of the rectum and the lower parts of the large intestine.
If you experience back pain in the lumbar region, an x-ray image of the lumbosacral region is prescribed. On it, the doctor can see indirect signs of osteochondrosis, deforming spondylarthrosis, disc protrusion, etc. An MRI examination is necessary to confirm or refute the diagnosis. According to his conclusion, the doctor can establish the diagnosis of intervertebral hernia, spinal stenosis, etc. To exclude pathology of the abdominal cavity and small pelvis, ultrasound and colonoscopy are performed.
Treatment of back pain in the lumbar region
It is necessary to start the treatment of back pain in the lumbar region by eliminating the negative influencing factor. If it is a decrease in the height of the intervertebral disc, then it is necessary to stop the compression of the nerve fiber and soft tissues surrounding the spine. The easiest way to achieve this effect is during the manual spine traction procedure. Already after the 2nd session, patients experience significant relief from their condition. But this does not mean complete recovery.
To completely restore the damaged cartilage tissue of the intervertebral discs, comprehensive treatment must be carried out. It may include the following types of therapeutic effects:
- massage of the muscular framework of the back and lower back - allows to normalize the tone of the muscle fiber, restore its performance, increase capillary blood supply and trophism;
- osteopathy in the treatment of pain in the lumbar region allows you to eliminate the infiltrating swelling of soft tissues by improving the processes of microcirculation of blood and lymphatic fluid;
- reflexology triggers regeneration processes by using the hidden reserves of the human body;
- therapeutic exercises and physiotherapy in the treatment of back pain in the lumbar region occupy a prominent place, allow you to fully restore the performance of all muscles;
- physiotherapy is used to improve metabolism at the cellular level.
We recommend treating low back pain in manual therapy clinics. Doctors there have accumulated extensive practical experience in the treatment of such patients. If you have lower back pain, in no case do not treat yourself. This is dangerous for your health.