Osteoarthritis of the knee joint is one of the most common joint diseases, and in terms of severity of the disease, it ranks second after hip osteoarthritis.
According to the latest research, this disease affects one in five adults on earth. In the material we will tell you what the symptoms of this disease are and how to treat it correctly so as not to have complications.
Reasons for the appearance
Every day a person's knee joints are under stress, because while walking, playing sports supports the full weight of the body. Over time, the cartilage tissue wears down, leading to changes in the joints. It is for this reason that adults can suffer from osteoarthritis of the knee joints.
In addition, there is a risk group, which includes people:
- suffering from osteoporosis;
- with hereditary disorders;
- elderly people;
- working in specific specialties with a high workload;
- have metabolic disorders;
- having a deficiency of microelements in the body;
- with lesions of the spine; Athletes
It should be remembered that this disease develops quite slowly, and it is very important to consult a doctor in time for advice if the main symptoms are detected.
This will prevent possible complications such as disability in the future.
Symptoms of osteoarthritis of the knee
To identify the disease, just pay attention to the symptoms - they are quite common in osteoarthritis. These include:
- Pain or discomfort after sleeping (or when trying to get up after sitting for a long time).
- Pain in the knees on prolonged standing.
- Going up the stairs - burning sensation.
- Night pain or discomfort after exercise.
- Feeling of weakness and "buckling" of the lower limbs.
One of the most prominent symptoms is pain and tingling in the knee.
At the same time, the disease itself does not appear "suddenly": such sensations can develop for months or years, and at first they will only bother with increased loads, then painwill be felt even at rest.
But it should be remembered that the symptoms differ depending on the degree of the disease.
Let's take a closer look at each option.
Osteoarthritis of this degree is almost asymptomatic, but there are a number of factors characteristic of this phase of the disease:
- feeling of fatigue in the limbs;
- decreased mobility, which usually occurs after sleep.
If there is pain, it is almost invisible. It is very difficult to diagnose the disease at this stage, therefore, you can not do without an x-ray: osteoarthritis will be manifested by a small unevenness on the surface of tissues and bones.
At this "stage" the symptoms are clearer. Pain can appear even with a slight load on the legs, and over time such sensations can appear with a simple movement. The discomfort goes away only after a long rest.
Additionally, symptoms such as:
- crunch while moving;
- changes in the bones of the joint; synovitis
- inability to bend the leg.
A feature of this degree is severe pain, which no longer depends on the load: the joints can disturb even at night in the absence of any movement.
Mobility is also impaired - a person cannot bend their leg at the knee. There may also be sensitivity to weather conditions.
Diagnostics and principles of subsequent treatment
The doctor, after listening to the doctor, will examine the appearance of the knee and assess its mobility. After that, the patient will be sent for an x-ray, and several images can be taken during the treatment period, which will assess the dynamics of the development of osteoarthritis. In some cases, an MRI or CT scan is prescribed.
If more research is needed to properly determine the underlying cause of osteoarthritis and separate it from other diseases with similar symptoms.
Processing typically includes the following:
- Drug treatment.
- Massage and manual therapy.
- Surgical intervention.
- Exercise therapy and other methods of rehabilitation therapy.
The main purposes of the processing are as follows:
- pain elimination;
- restoration of the ligamentous system and destruction of cartilage;
- increased range of motion in the joint.
Massage procedures, physical therapy, and even good nutrition are also important. If you see a doctor too late or none of the above methods will help you, you will be prescribed an operation: placing a stent.
Treatment of osteoarthritis - choice of methods and means
At present, there are such groups of drugs that are prescribed for the treatment of osteoarthritis in the initial stage:
- NSAIDs - nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs;
- medicated ointments;
- compressor products.
NSAIDs are aimed at eliminating pain and inflammation. And it is only after reducing the pain syndrome that treatment can begin.
If the use of nonsteroidal drugs has not given any results, especially if the disease is only progressing, doctors usually prescribe hormonal drugs.
However, it should be remembered that due to a number of side effects, these drugs are prescribed only during the period of the disease - if fluid accumulates inside the joint part. The solution is not injected more than once in 10 days.
The only group of agents that directly affect the cause of osteoarthritis are chondroprotectors. They are particularly effective in the early stages.
Also in the early stages, hyaluronic acid, which is injected into the joint, is very effective. This procedure is not the cheapest, but it helps to abrade the cartilaginous surface.
When osteoarthritis is detected, ointments are also prescribed - they also reduce the feeling of pain and eliminate inflammation.
How traditional medicine can help
It should be said right away that you should not only use traditional medicine methods - they should only be used in addition to drug treatment.
Let's take a look at some of the things that can help with osteoarthritis of the knee:
You only need to eat 5 dandelion flowers per day, be sure to rinse them with boiled water. You can also make tinctures: take 5 dark glass bottles, fill 50% with flowers, fill the container with triple cologne up to your neck. Insist for a month, then wipe your knees with the infusion.
It is a compound that should be rubbed into the knee joint regularly.
It is very simple to make such a composition: take the egg yolk, mix with 1 tbsp. l. turpentine, add 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar. All the ingredients should be mixed and left overnight.
Every night, lubricate your knees with the product and style with a woolen scarf.
In addition, it is very important to wash off the applied mixture well in the morning. To relieve the symptoms, you should use this method for 2-3 weeks.
According to folk effects, you need to tie 3-4 large leaves of burdock to the sore knee and wrap it with a bandage. Repeat this manipulation for at least a week to relieve the pain. And to enhance the effect, you need to lubricate the joints with cinquefoil oil.
Soak a piece of cloth in the juice and place it on the affected knee. After an hour, brush with vegetable oil. Repeat the procedure for a week.
Take 2 tbsp. l. means, pour into a thermos, pour 1 liter of boiling water, leave for two hours. Take at least 3 glasses a day in a warm place.
Choice of knee pads for osteoarthritis
Often for osteoarthritis of the knee joint it is recommended to wear special knee pads, which both reduce the feeling of discomfort and have a therapeutic effect. Typically, when used for a short time, you will see improvements such as:
- the inflammatory process decreases;
- the pockets disappear;
- pain relief;
- decreases the pressure on the joints;
- the work of the musculoskeletal system is stabilized.
It is very important to choose the right model that will be effective when worn. To do this, let's first study what are the types of knee pads:
- Open.Indispensable for those who experience pain after suffering an injury or minor pain.
- Elastic productswith stiffeners. This type of knee braces are best suited for those who have pain when squatting, going up or down stairs. Knee pads
- Open shapewith adjustable tension. Such products are ideal after the operation.
- Closed type- they are used if the source of the pain is not clear, that is, it is not concentrated in a specific place. Allows you to minimize stress on the joints.
- The magnetic appearanceof the knee brace is characterized by the presence of a special magnet, due to which there is a warming effect, blood circulation is improved.
- Articulated.Considered a universal option. Used to minimize pain after injury, osteoarthritis.
In addition to the type, you should also consider the material from which the knee brace is made. So, such items can be crafted from:
- Animal fur.These products warm, absorb moisture, reduce inflammation and improve blood circulation in tissues.
- Polyester.Knee pads made of this artificial fabric are very comfortable, reliable, but they do not heat up and are quite expensive.
- Cotton.Comfortable to wear, waterproof. Of course, there are also drawbacks: lack of elasticity and fragility of use.
- Nylon.Knee pads made of this material are considered to be the most durable and adapt well to the body. But there is also a downside - this is an artificial material.
- Neoprene.Despite the fact that it is a synthetic fabric, this material is elastic and has a heating effect. There is also a downside - wearing such knee pads can cause allergies.
But it is important not only to choose the right knee pads, but also to use them. Doctors give several important recommendations to follow:
- you should not wear them for more than three hours a day;
- the duration of wearing depends on the degree of osteoarthritis - the doctor will inform you in more detail;
- if you have an allergy, you must see a doctor urgently who will prescribe another bandage;
- it is not possible for the officer to tighten the joints strongly;
- wash the knee pads by hand, the water temperature should not exceed +40 degrees.
In conclusion, it must be said that one should not neglect a healthy lifestyle - in this case, the body will function as it should. If you experience pain in the joints, you must urgently see a doctor to make the correct diagnosis.