Osteochondrosis (bone - osteon, cartilage - chondros, the Greek.)– this degenerative changes in the cartilage of the intervertebral discs, which start in violation of the food, weakening the metabolism and leads to aging and tissue destruction of the place of the cartilage and intervertebral joints.
Diagnosis and treatment of degenerative disc disease of the cervical – it is quite a complicated process, because it is precisely this separation of the spine is the most agile, and muscular corset that supports the vertebrae, weakest and difficult training. Additional complexity lies in the fact that the covers for the neck unlike the corsets and bandages for the other departments of the spine wear is pretty difficult, because it is not possible to hide under clothing.
Why does degenerative disc disease
Causes of degenerative disc disease of the cervical diverse – from hereditary tendency to the permanent increased exertion. In today's world of osteochondrosis significantly younger, his symptoms begin to appear in people from 20 years old and sometimes even younger.
The main causes of the disease are the following:
- Static overload when one is forced for a long time to stay in the monotonous posture. The constant sitting on the computer chair or behind the wheel of a car – this is one of the main reasons, degenerative disc disease, including in the cervical region;
- Dynamic congestion – a sharp movement, rotation, ill-calculated load at the sport. Frequent changes in body position, lifting and moving heavy loads;
- Incorrect posture while sitting behind a desk or the constant wearing of a backpack on one shoulder;
- Injuries to the vertebrae, sustained myositis of the cervical muscles.
The main reasons of the disease are accompanied by other factors, such as hypothermia, the influence of certain chemicals, which come with air and food, non-compliance with the regime, nutrition and rest, being overweight, hereditary predisposition,trophic pathology of the joints, hormonal disorders. All of these factors by themselves can hardly become a cause of degenerative disc disease, but in the complex with the main reasons that increase the risk of its occurrence.
How to recognize the disease
Symptoms degenerative disc disease cervical so obvious, that everyone who with ease able to recognize:
- The problems that arise when trying to turn your head. Depending on the place of localization and the intensity of the violation of the rotation angle can be different – sometimes a person absolutely can not turn your head, and sometimes when it felt only a little pain;
- The neck muscles are in constant tension, since that starts to hurt the entire shoulder belt. Any attempt to stretch the shoulders and release the neck muscles are accompanied by pain;
- Discomfort in the hands on the length from the shoulder to the hand. Numbness refers to the outer part of the arm and is so strong, it must also mash the hand;
- The blade of a sharp pain, accompanied by a reactionary armor;
- Even a small pressure on the shoulders or the hands intensifies the pain. In the acute phase the pain may be so severe that the person seems too hard even draped over shoulders coat;
- With every sharp movement – sneezing, coughing, turning the head, and especially toward the healthy side of the neck, the pain intensifies.
Diagnosis of the disease
This is the most basic symptoms of degenerative disc disease, which can observe and recognize each separately.
In fact, the symptoms of degenerative disc disease of the cervical vertebrae are diverse. Some of them are so similar to the symptoms of diseases of the SSS and osteochondrosis of the thoracic vertebrae that distinguish them can only specialist:
- Sometimes the pain may experience numbness in the lower extremities, which limits the mobility;
- When compressed the vertebral artery may occur with migraines, that are associated with restriction of blood supply to the tissues of the brain. In the further development of cervical degenerative disc disease headaches can be permanent;
- The character of the headache may be very different, but most often occur in the occipital part and moving in the temporal-parietal part. When the slopes and in the corners of the head pain more intense, and when too note;
- Sometimes they appear by pressing, prolonged pain in the heart area.
All these symptoms are not specific and characteristic only for cervical degenerative disc disease, and so to correctly determine the place of localization of the pathology can only specialist. In the course of diagnosis are used instrumental methods:
- Magnetic resonance imaging;
- Fluoroscopic research;
- Computed tomography;
These and other techniques will allow doctors to properly identify what kind of vertebrae surprised, at what point is a localized pathology, and in accordance with the intensity of the problem of assign adequate treatment.
Basic principles of treatment
How to treat osteochondrosis of the cervical, can determine only a doctor. Self in most cases does not lead to the desired result, but only worsens the problem.
Treatment of degenerative disc disease consists of two phases:
- Medical therapy, which consists in the removal of inflammation and elimination of pain syndrome. Basic drugs – NSAIDS and pain medication that can taken orally and can be administered intramuscularly. The second way to introduce more appropriate, because the drug acts faster and has no effect on GIT. In the conditions of a hospital) the patient may carry out the procedure of electrophoresis, which contributes to the rapid penetration of active substances to the hearth of inflammation;
- Rehabilitation practices, which begin after the alleviation of inflammation and reduction of pain.
The main rehabilitation methods of treatment of cervical degenerative disc disease are the following:
- Massages, which should be done only by an expert. It's not worth it to trust Amateurs, because every wrong pressure or a sudden movement may lead to deterioration of the problems. For the amplification effect, instead of the usual massage oils you can use anti-inflammatory and pain medication, ointments, active substances, which in the process of massage easier to penetrate through the skin barrier and have a direct impact on the focus of inflammation and pain. The minimum number of sessions is 10, if necessary, the course can be increased;
- Electrophoresis with the use of anti-inflammatory and painkillers drugs;
- UHF, laser therapy, treatment of magnetic field.
All of these procedures can be performed in a hospital environment), and some of them even in home conditions, using special portable devices:
- Therapeutic physical training, which consists of specially selected complex of exercises. For the execution of the exercises make use of various exercise machines, courses must be conducted under the supervision of a specialist. An effective way to treat degenerative disc disease of the cervical are exercise on a wooden board, which is equipped with movable hands the two levels using a loop Glisson. Not worth it to conduct such exercises independently, as every careless movement can lead to a worsening of the condition;
- Using a special kinesiology tape that is inserted in the course of the muscle fibers in the area of the head. It take part of the burden on yourself, which will greatly accelerate the recovery process of the vertebrae, reduces the pain;
- In the course of treatment and further for the prevention experts recommend the use of a special neck of the tire, for example, the bus Trench. These elastic products are taking on part of the burden, easing muscle tension, speeding the recovery process. Those who are constantly in monotonous posture, such a collar is recommended to wear every day on the 1⁄2 - 1 hour to make the neck muscles relax.
How to help yourself
After suffered the disease, patients often ask yourself the question, what to do to prevent a recurrence or worsening of the disease.
The basic recommendations are the following:
- There must be a correct way of life– to walk, when you work continually to perform physical 5 minutes;
- When constantly a static position necessarily to regularly change your posture and don't forget at least 1 time per day to wear the cervical bandage for the unloading of the neck muscles and relaxation;
- 1-2 times a year to visit a massage therapist to carry out a preventive course;
- Sports. The best sport for the unloading and strengthening of the muscles – swimming;
- At the first signs of cervical degenerative disc disease is a necessary to visit a doctor who will perform the examination and prescribe the appropriate treatment.